Insurance Policies and Coverage
Knowledge of insurance policies and the insurance business is a cornerstone of our practice at Powers Farley. Insurance touches virtually every part of life in our society. From cases involving injuries, to property damage, construction claims, business losses, medical and professional malpractice, as well as insurance claims by individual policyholders and businesses, our attorneys have a working knowledge of the types of insurance policies that may be involved, their terms and conditions, and insurance company processes related to the handling of these claims. Our depth of experience results in each of our attorneys having a comprehensive understanding of how matters related to insurance may impact compensation for injuries and other damages, how insurance protects against liability for injuries and loss, how government programs such as Medicare and the Affordable Care Act may impact damage recoveries, as well as the impact insurance has on decision-making in business transactions and litigation.
We also employ experienced insurance coverage attorneys whose practices range from advice and opinions on coverage questions that may arise under various insurance policies, to insurance coverage and bad faith litigation in state, federal and appellate-level courts. Our coverage attorneys have a vast foundation of knowledge that includes an understanding of insurance company operations and claims-handling practices, problems arising in claim-handling that can lead to breach of contract and bad faith-related claims, as well as numerous insurance policy coverage-related issues that arise across the spectrum of commercial and personal lines policies. Areas handled within the firm’s insurance coverage practice have included:
- Insurance Coverage Litigation in State and Federal Courts, including:
- Breach of Contract and Insurance Bad Faith Claims
- Declaratory Judgment Actions
- Policy Analysis and Interpretation
- Preparation of Formal Coverage Opinions and Reservations of Rights
- Examinations Under Oath
- Automobile and Homeowner Policy Coverage Issues
- Commercial General Liability Coverage Issues
- Construction Defect Coverage Issues
- Professional Liability Coverage Issues
- Umbrella/Excess Coverage
- Successful Appeals Leading to Significant Insurance-Related Court Decisions
- Advising Insurance Carriers Regarding Claims and Underwriting Practices
- Training of Insurance Company Claims Representatives
- Assistance in Drafting Proposed Legislation Affecting the Insurance Industry
- Assistance in Drafting and Revising Significant Insurance Policy Provisions
At Powers Farley, we understand that the subject of insurance and its impact on policyholders and insurance companies is often complex. We focus on applying our knowledge of the many practical and legal considerations involved in this area of the law, as well as our effective skills in evaluating and managing complex insurance-related problems, to provide a level of services to our clients that transcend what may be found in other run-of-the mill litigation practices.
For more information contact James Thomson, Donald Farley and Mark Orler.